Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Veganomicon: Pumpkin Saag and Saffron-Garlic Rice



The Pumpkin Saag reminded me of a red lentil, quinoa, spinach salad recipe that was in Veggie Life in the grains issue. Unfortunately I didn't read the recipe carefully before shopping for ingredients and planned on using the pureed pumpkin left-over from my pumpkin bread recipe. The difference only seemed to affect the texture and not the flavor. I think this is one dish that I would make spicier, since I tend to expect it in a curry.

The Saffron-Garlic Rice had a wonderful flavor, but just a bit too much oil for my taste. I think if I make this one again I will cut back the oil to less tan a tablespoon. I also changed the slivered almonds to frozen peas added right at the end and lightly steamed on the hot rice (with the lid on). I think that almonds would be just as wonderful, I just felt like bright green peas would make a nice light alternative in such a weighty dish.

No comments: