Saturday, January 26, 2008

Veganomicon: Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa



Cashews are Paul's favorite nut, his grandmother recently gave us a bag of them, and quinoa is my favorite grain, so choosing this recipe wasn't a difficult decision. The recipe calls for cooking the quinoa and cooling it for at least an hour or overnight, so I started the recipe last night while I was cooking yesterday's dinner.



Tonight, I assembled the rest of the ingredients:



And then got cooking:



I respected the times given in the recipe except for toasting the nuts, it took about twice the time the recipe called for and the nuts never really got much color. I was nervous about adding the garlic so early since it has a tendency to burn, but it actually worked out pretty well. I think the only change I would make to the recipe is to add the peas later on with the pineapple and quinoa since they're so delicate, however I think that edamame could handle the longer cooking time.

Overall this was a tasty meal, though I think the sweet, spicy, tangy balance was a bit overly sour. I think that if I were making this again I would want to add something substantial like slightly smokey-sweet baked tofu cubes and reduce the amount of pineapple chunks. I think for me I would also increase the amount of chile-heat, but I'm a chile-head so I wouldn't recommend it for the faint-of-tongue. I also think that the amount of oil could be reduced by 1-2 TBS without drastically effecting the final dish.

No comments: