Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lentil and Orzo soup


1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 c lentils
4 c vegetable stock
4 c water
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 T fresh thyme
1/2 c tomato sauce or diced tomato
1/2 c whole wheat orzo
1 T fresh basil
1 c spinach or other leafy green


Saute onion, carrot, and celery in a small amount of olive oil until onion starts to turn translucent. Add lentils and saute for another 1-3 minutes. Add vegetable stock, 4 cups of water, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, and tomato and bring to a slight boil. Add orzo and simmer for 6-8 minutes before adding spinach and basil and continue cooking until orzo is al dente. Remove the bay leaf and rosemary before serving.

1 comment:

Maddy Avena said...

Hey Lexy! Thanks for leaving me a note on my blog. I posted a vegan dinner recipe there tonight. I must say tho....I shall probably rework it as a recipe for 3 not 4, as I went back and had another 1/2 serving.
This soup looks good. I wonder what kind of stew it would make if you subbed small couscous or big pearl couscous for the orzo....I thing the pearl would be fantastic! Ooohooohoooh!
(I love to create beautiful food!)
Your blog looks great. I love your soup/stew blue cup.
xoxo
Maddy