Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Kashi Kedgeree


1 c kashi 7 grain pilaf (dry)
2 c broth
1 c french lentils
2 c water
2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
10 oz mushrooms
1 bunch purple kale, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 T lemon juice
Bragg liquid aminos to taste


Cook the pilaf in the broth acording to package directions. Cook the lentils in water until tender and then drain. Sautee the garlic, onion, and carrot in 2 T olive oil over medium heat until onion is starting to color. Add the mushrooms, cumin, and coriander to the onion, garlic, and carrots, and stir to combine. Add Kale to the other vegetables and cover to steam for a couple of minutes, making sure nothing burns or sticks. Once kale is wilted, add pilaf, lentils, and lemon juice and stir to combine. For an extra kick squeeze a clove of garlic in a garlic press over the pot. Adjust your seasonings with a splash or two of Bragg's.


This recipe was inspired by Devra Gartenstein's Kegeree recipe. I've used the 7 grain pilaf and the french lentils for a little variety. I've also switched the powdered mustard for ground coriander because we were out of mustard and I love the way coriander works with lemon.

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Saw you on Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and thought I would stop by. Nice place you have here. Care if I link you? It's always nice to meet a fellow veggie woman. I'm at:
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com

Auntie X said...

THanks so much! I'd love a link. I'm still setting this blog up so I haven't made a list of links yet, but I'll add yours to mine too!