Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Bagels from Baking Bites Blog


Ever since I was a little girl I've wanted to bake bagels, but my mother convinced me that it was too complicated. I'm happy to report that is not the case. It was actually really fun and I even made an audible squee of delight while they were baking.

I used the recipe over here on the blog Baking Bites, and you should too. It's laid out so nicely and the photos are gorgeous. I did make a couple substitutions though, because I just can't help myself. I don't have bread flour in the house, so I used all purpose flour plus a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten. I also used a cornstarch wash instead of an egg wash. I whisked 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into 1/4 cup cold water then whisked that mixture into a cup of boiling water. I brushed the bagels before they went into the oven and then again afterward. I can't wait to try this recipe out again with flavors and toppings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It absolutely never occurred to me that one could make her own bagels. And they're pretty much my second favorite food ever and it's nearly impossible to find good ones outside of the east coast. You made my day.

Auntie X said...

I'm so glad! Of course I'm not such an aficionado that I could compare my bagels to those of a NY deli, but they're better than Dunkin Donuts!

I started baking all our bread to save money, and bagels just seemed like the next logical step. They are definitely Paul's favorite breakfast food :)