Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Veganomicon: Penne Vodka



Last night's dinner was Penne Vodka from the Veganomicon. The recipe was simple enough to put together. Essentially all that was required was to saute the garlic, red pepper flakes, and then add the herbs, canned tomato, vodka and simmer. The creamy component to the sauce was achieved by using almonds. I used almond meal instead of the slivered almonds that the recipe called for because it was what I had and it seemed easer to use the pre-ground almonds than to break down slivered almonds with the stick blender.

This recipe was very interesting. I've never had vodka sauce before, so I'm really not sure how it compares to any sort of standard. The almond meal makes the sauce very creamy and almost a mac & cheese type consistency. I think that we will definitely make this recipe again, though I think I will be reducing the amount of crushed red pepper flakes. It's not that I don't love a spicy sauce, but this one turned out spicier than I expected and it seemed like it detracted from the overall creaminess. I think the level of heat was something more like a strong pomodoro than a mild marinara which was more along the lines of what I was expecting. I don't mind so much for myself, but Paul's system has a harder time handling the heat.

No comments: