Monday, April 14, 2008

FFtVSC: South-African Slow-Cooked Bobotie



I had never heard of bobotie before I tried this recipe for the first time, and therefore I had no expectations. I think that this dish is one of the shining stars of Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. With the small caveat that the quality of the bread makes a huge difference. The bread that I like to use for this recipe is 9 grain bread from Baker's Inn because it's so chock full of whole grains and seeds. I also generally add more bread than the recipe calls for so that the bobotie ends up light and fluffy. The combination of the hearty bread cubes, sweet sauteed onion and apricot, and the mildly spicy curry powder makes me think of the holidays. It's like a delicious combination of Tourtiere, bread stuffing, and spicy pumpkin pie. Topped with crunchy sliced almonds, how can you go wrong?

2 comments:

Rowan said...

I'm glad to read this. I recently got invited to an African themed potluck and was happy to find this recipe in my cookbook.

I'm curious, is there anything you would change or add: coconut, chutney, chilis, etc.?

Auntie X said...

I wouldn't change anything. Just be sure to use a very hearty multigrain bread. If you've got one with nuts and seeds all the better :)